Tow Bars in Sheffield
All tow bar accessories and types of high quality towbars throughout the Sheffield area.
Flange Ball Towbars
The most commonly used type of towbars in this country are the Flange-ball towbars where the towball is bolted to the towbar with two 24mm bolts.
This is the most versatile design of towbars because it can be used with tow-ball mounted accessories.
- Cheapest option.
- Can be used with all accessories.
- Can be used with a bumper guard.
- Fits with all cycle carriers.
- Can be bulky.
- Is more likely to be picked up by parking aids.
- Extended towball needed to use with an Al-Ko stabiliser, and some Thule cycle carriers.
Cycle carriers, stabiliser plates & bumper protection plates can all be easily fixed securely behind the towball.
The main downside is that these types of towbars is more likely to trigger your reverse parking aids if you have them fitted to your vehicle.
Some people prefer Swan-Neck towbars where the towball is part of the neck of the towbar. This type of bar can look tidier on the vehicle but is much less versatile.
Due to the neck being narrower it is less likely to trigger reverse parking aids.
The swan neck towbar can also be used with an Alko stabiliser without the need for modification.
When fitted to the vehicle, Detachable towbars look very similar to Swan-Neck towbars. However, the beauty of this type of towbar is that the neck simply unclips when you don’t need to use it, leaving little or nothing of the towbars to see.
- Removable when not in use.
- Appearance of the car can be unaffected.
- Compatible with Al-Ko stabilisers.
- No issues with parking aids.
- Highest price.
- Cannot be used with a bumper guard.
- Only compatible with Thule & Westfalia cycle carriers, not Witter cycle cariers.
Due to the moving parts, detachable towbars have a limited guarantee, usually 2 years. The neck and mounting point will naturally wear over time, and can be expensive to replace these towbars.